Mini Mats by Action Mats, use simple graphics to unlock the power of movement, helping to apply the EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage) UK Curriculum.
Rather than the focus of each mat being on exercise based challenges as they principally are with Action Mats, we have created Mini Mats that focus on skills and attributes such as balance, coordination, spatial awareness, visual tracking, core strength, dexterity, directional movement and thought processing.
Mini Mats have proved phenomenally successful with our trial schools where the children have shown engagement with the mats from the youngest age group, and crucially, have shown development in many key areas using the mats.
We have also expanded on the core Mini Mats offering following a year-long research programme with Pre-Schools (up to 7 years) from Espoo in Finland called ‘Make with Espoo’. The schools in the city of Espoo contributed to the creation of add-on sets (Mini Mats extras) that further link with the EYFS Curriculum.
Extras sets include:
- Numbers and symbols - For introducing rudimentary numeracy skills in an active learning environment.
- Transport and Road signs - Understanding the live environment and introducing simple road safety.
- Animals and clothes - To aid in understanding the world around us including animal movement and habitat as well as job roles or daily routines shown by different clothing worn.
The Mini Mats range addresses most of the 7 key areas of learning within the EYFS curriculum for 2021-22 in one resource.
Why do Teachers & Practitioners love Mini Mats?
- Encourage children to engage and enjoy physical development
- Create rewarding learning opportunities, encouraging children to work together towards a common goal
- Can be included as part of a physical learning experience
- With a fast and friendly setup, you save valuable learning time and create rewarding, enriching experiences
- Each mat links directly with objectives within the Department for Education's 'Development Matters' guidance
- Create fun activities to explore agility, balance, coordination and thought processing speed
- Versatile, easy to use and multifunctional